Thursday, May 1, 2014

Me Made May 2014

My parents gifted me my first sewing machine in high school--or was it middle school?--and I immediately set to work making Very Important Things like boxer shorts, constructed with cockeyed plaid, to be layered with my ill-fitting biker shorts in gym class.

On a slightly related note, the class behind us only had to take one year of phys ed, while my class had to take two full years. Injustice! At least I still have the shorts.

Fast forward to me as a mom, several years removed from my crooked boxers and unevenly hemmed dresses. I found myself wanting to sew for my little one, rusty though I was, so I gathered some supplies and tentatively refreshed myself on the ins and outs of sewing. Good news: It's like riding a bike with needles and thread and dangerously sharp scissors. Even better: There's an incredibly vibrant online sewing community to serve as inspiration and a never-ending resource for help and motivation.

My kiddo is four now, and I still make plenty of things for her. (I mean, come on: Kids' clothes are cute!) In the past year or so, though, I've really stepped up my own me-made wardrobe, and I have no intention of stopping. There are a number of reasons to be invested in the process of making your own clothes, but for now let's just go with this: It's fun!

Me Made May 2014: I think I can?


So, without further ado: I, Meagan of howikopp.blogspot.com, sign up (one day late!) as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavor to wear at least four me-made items each week for the duration of May 2014.

Thanks, online sewing world, for making me want to play along!

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you were in middle school when we bought you that machine. Remember, your home ec teacher had you sewing something for her kids because you had finished your project? (How's that for a vote of approval?) And you made things for your brother the summer you were going into high school...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds right, thought it was for her granddaughter :-)

      Delete

What has two thumbs and likes comments? This gal!